Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4737 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Well, sure, I understand that some people do significant upgrades on new bikes...I'm just saying that I wouldn't do it. I'd rather just buy a better bike up front and be done with it.

In your example, I would hardly call it a "minimal change" to swap in an entirely different groupset. And why bother, since you'd then have a bike with a great groupset (Di2) and cheapie wheels.

But that's just me.
Ultegra Di2 is Shimano's lowest tier offering for electronic shifting. By minimal change, I really was trying to get at "single aspect". Thought of this way, Di2 is an upgrade of the stock 105. Another example, if you want a cool looking integrated aero stem/bar CF combo, what model Emonda would you have had to buy to get this, at what dollar cost?

The point is, there's not necessarily a lot of cost disadvantage to piecemeal bettering one's existing bike (over time if you want), versus buying a pre-configured model. And, you get what you want when you decide you want or need it, vs settling for what the bike manufacturer installs.
Likes For Sy Reene: