Old 04-08-13, 10:51 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Not a great example; the car behind me was holding far enough back that I didn't bother with a more aggressive lane position. On the other hand, had he been closer, I would have been dead center in the lane to make it clear that it's a bad time to pass over a solid yellow, climbing a hill, in a curve. As soon as the oncoming (70mph) car was clear, I waved the one behind me through. He waved and gave me more than half the road in clearance.

FWIW, I grew up in the fields on both sides of this shot; my mom inherited the land to the right from my granddad, from about a half mile back to a half mile ahead) and my cousins own the land on the left. That innocent looking bit of curve has caused some spectacular wrecks over the years from idiots hitting it at 90+ and finding out what it means to lose downforce (from cresting a hill too fast) while trying to steer at high speed. I've seen single car wrecks that left parts strewn past the fencelines on both sides of the road, while the majority of the frame was still on the road. It's impressive what can happen when somebody vastly exceeds the capabilities of their vehicle to the point where it tears itself apart that badly.