Old 06-29-18, 12:26 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
Ok, so let's say they are paid 12 hours at $15, which amounts to $180. Now for simplicity's sake, let's say they deliver 180 packages, which translates to $1 per package. Now let's say you want to make $100 in a day as a cyclist. Depending on the size of the packages, you could fit 10 to 30 in a bike trailer at a time. So in approximately five two-hour shifts, you could make $100. That wouldn't be a bad way to keep warm and healthy in the winter, though it would be tiring. I think it would really depend on the geography of the delivery area(s).

Of course, with driverless delivery drones coming, I'm not sure what the relevance of couriers will be, whether in vans, on bikes, on foot, or any by any other mode.
I looked at you link on what Amazon was looking for did you read what they are doing and how it works now in England as I posted?

They are looking for sub contractors that improve delivery times and cost from what they now have. They will determine the area that van and driver services. Their scanning and computer software will route the packages. And they will pay that driver and van based on the packages.

If that driver has 180 packages they will only get the money if the packages are delivered. So the driver and the van mich have an hours driving time to get to their assigned delivery area.

That driver will get paid the full amount based on deliveries registered on the Amazon scanner. You can trace your package today on your home computer or smart phone. When it is dropped at your front door it shows up on your computer within seconds.

Now if you pass off part part of your deliveries as you origionally suggested the cyclist would need a scanner as well. What then happens to their routing? But for arguments sake let’s say you figure that part out the first hour out is still making nothing from deliveries. The transfer time from the van to the bicycle is still time taken away from deliveries. Remember the van will have a one hour return trip take out of your delivery time. So if your cyclist does deliver 100 packages who will deliver the other 80 packages? If the van and driver make the 80 deliveries how does the cyclist get their second shift?

All in all if if you were getting 180 packages delivered at one dollar a package you would have to split the 180 bucks between two people making it 90 bucks each. 90 bucks for 12 hours work for the van driver isn’t minimum wage. It is 7.50 an hour.