burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
This isn't a participation sport. The point of a bike race is to win.

I can't understand why they pay anyone, 1/2 categories included.

I've spent maybe 30-50 grand on bike racing over the past few years. Bikes, bike parts, lots of gas, lots of entry fees, double the calories of a sedentary person,
I've spent well over 100 grand in time at my current pay rate. Maybe 200.

I've won 3 crits (cat 4, cat 4, cat 2/3), a circuit race (cat 3/4), a road race (cat 3), and a couple track nights (cat 4).

That amounts to me paying $30,000 for each win. Why oh why would anyone except the very top guys who win all the time care about a few hundred bucks payout? I got 3rd one time after a 60 mile break was caught by 5 guys. They gave me an envelope with $10 in it. If they gave me $500 it wouldn't outweigh being caught 10 minutes from the line, and that was cat 4.
Uhm, that’s the entire point of the prize. Goes to winners, not losers. This isn’t Ironman where everyone gets a medal for finishing.

Where do you think we’re advocating participation trophies? Nobody here is.

Also, those figures are outrageous. It’s $3k for an amazing race rig setup with all the kit you need and maybe $1k per year to do most any racing till your heart explodes.

Not sure what’s up with the hyperbole going on here.

Just say what you mean, you think the money is pointless.

I don’t think it is. It’s a fun incentive in lots of amateur sports and clubs. God forbid anyone have some fun.