View Single Post
Old 05-30-20, 11:11 AM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
My Wilier has rim brakes, they have served me well and all I've known on road bikes since the 1980's and I prefer them aesthetically. However, racing MTB I realised I much prefer disc on that bike since the stopping power is tangibly better off-road.

Now, I live in a warm place, a tourist mecca for beaches and Sun. I seldom ride in the wet since I can simply go to Zwift for the few days a year I would experience rain. However, going downhill at 70-100km/h in races, club rides or just training alone, there is a place for a braking system that is better. But...a well-matched rim brake to a good aluminium hoop will do just as well as a disc braked bike in the dry. GCN online demonstrated this only recently in one of their videos. A carbon wheel however, is a slightly different story. My Sram Red brakes and Zipp 303's do stop me but not quite as well as my previous aluminium Mavic wheels did.

My soon-to-arrive aero bike has discs. I've opted for them because I will then have both systems and therefore a choice. Also, from a purely aesthetic stance again, I find them less of an issue for me on aero bikes than that of a climbing bike.