Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2135 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 829 Posts
EBike 101 Questions

Hi folks. I have been kicking around the idea of an Ebike for my wife. Honestly, it won't see a lot of use. We can do okay together on short rides on conventional pedal bikes, but once the distance goes past 15 miles, the fun factor diminishes for her. When we do those rides, I am not getting much exercise. The primary purpose will be to allow us to get some exercise together. We do travel a good bit and take our bikes. If there are any hills at all, she won't ride. Each summer we vacation in Crested Butte CO. I am thinking an Ebike would allow her to ride some shorter rides there with me. She's kinda on board with me, but like me, she isn't real sure what the experience will be like.

First question. Can any of you provide a good Ebike 101 type link? I have read here and there, but still find myself with more questions than answers. When I think I have answers, I look at a specific bike and am not sure the answers apply to the specific systems on the bike in question.

I know that she prefers upright ergos. Riding will be done 90% on paved roads/paths with occasional hard pack gravel roads. Trips will be about 2 hours max, so maybe 30 miles +/-. Most much shorter than that. I can do most wrenching on a conventional bike and as a consequence order most of my bikes/frames online. I am much more inclined to go with a local shop, though I could be persuaded to order if the price is right. It seems like Bosch may be slightly favored over Yamaha and Shimano. All of them have good reputations.

Questions now:

1. Are Specialized (and other manufacturers private label) motors and batteries rebadged?

2. Assuming a 250 watt motor and maximum pedal assist setting, would a 3 mile average 4% grade be doable for a casual cyclist?

3. I see max speed listed as 20 MPH on the bikes I am most interested in. Will they go faster on long downhills?

4. It looks like some battery packs are very unique in size and shape. That gives me concerns about replacement availability in the future. Is that a valid concern?

5. I am sure I want to do a mid mount. Does the battery location (down tube or rear rack) location make any practical difference given the stated use?

6. I guess the major systems have been out long enough to give us a glimpse into their reliability. It seems like reliability is good. Are there any common trouble spots with batteries, motors or computers?

7. Anything I should absolutely avoid?

8. Not this bike specifically, but bikes in this style, feature, performance category is where I am concentrating. Can you point me to any good competitors in this class?
https://feltbicycles.com/products/ve...lectric-e-bike

Thanks as always for your considered feedback.