View Single Post
Old 06-18-20, 10:59 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18424 Post(s)
Liked 15,581 Times in 7,337 Posts
Originally Posted by Climb14er
I also never drink and ride my road bikes or motorcycles, it's dangerous enough riding straight sober!
Being a big city person, I have gone out to dinner a gozillion times by bike. Aside from when I do that, I don't drink and ride. It's hard for me to understand how people do it. Having a drink during the middle of something like a road ride or while touring would totally demotivate me, especially if it were hot out. I was on an organized tour in the Finger Lakes region. One day was really hot and humid. Stopped at a bar/distillery/restaurant for food with maybe 20 miles left in the very long day. A couple of guys I knew who were on the tour were sampling whiskeys and beers. I would have passed out with just one sip of booze.

Many years ago I spent nearly 4 months on the road touring in the U.S. I cannot remember one day that I had alcohol during the day's ride. There was plenty of time to drink in camp. Interestingly, there was an alcoholic on the trip. He nearly got arrested for harassing a woman in a ND bar who turned out to be an off-duty state trooper. Then he crashed on the way to camp. One night in MN he didn't show up to camp until way after everyone had turned in because he had been drinking along the day's route. He carried the largest pot that we used to make pasta for the group of 13. Fortunately, that night we camped at a place that also had a restaurant that let us borrow a large pot. One morning, about a week before the end of the trip, he got lit in his tent on a day off in NH. He later went riding, crashed and fractured his clavicle. Somehow he managed to finish the ride.