View Single Post
Old 07-07-20, 08:55 AM
Revracer

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn World Voyageur | Francesco Moser SL | 1984 Ross Utopian | St. Etienne 531 | 1981 Peugeot PK10 | 2015 Cannondale SuperSix | 2012 Felt F65X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 18 Posts
Heat and Distance

What techniques work for you to manage heat on a long distance ride? I attempted to ride 109 miles, started out at 8:30. Early part of ride had shade and 80F temps, but when noon hit, I was in Lancaster County farmland, no tree cover and my Garmin was reading 101F but I believe that was boosted by hot pavement as most weather forecasts were stating closer to 95F. At 75 miles I felt dizzy and was pretty sure I had heat exhaustion. While I think I had consumed enough fluids 3xGatorade, 1xScratch, 6xWaters, 1xIcedTea, I also know I kept sweating and actually never felt much urge to urinate so I suppose I could have drank more. A few other thoughts included taking a break in shade sooner or finding a creek to sit in.

I also found the convenience stores were not at a helpful spacing for me and I started to seek them out.

After resting in shade for over 30 minutes, attempting to get back on bike was a no go. It was a good learning experience on what the limit feels like for me, but frustrating if I wanted to tackle more summer brevets.