Old 04-06-21, 10:37 AM
1 Lugnut

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, Colnago Super, Mondia Super, Mondia Special, Mondia Prestige (for sale 55cm),Titan Star, Titan Exklusiv, Windsor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
I don't know anything about pocket watches but the gold coin on the chain is valuable. I can't tell enough from the pictures but is that a quarter eagle (2 1/2 dollars) or half eagle (5 dollars) coin? It is written out on the bottom of the reverse side (written either 2 1/2 or five dollars - just like that). The two are almost the same except size. I can read that the date is 1908. If it is a half eagle with a S mint mark (meaning it was minted in San Francisco) it has extremely low mintage (82,000). Strangely while low mintage usually = greater value, not so much with the 1908 S half eagles (unless it is nearly uncirculated and then the value explodes).. Anyway depending on what coin it is, it probably has a value between $500 and $1000.

The mint marks can be found all the way to the right edge of the coin by the eagle's feet. There are 3 possibilities, no mint mark (meaning it was minted in Philadelphia) or a D (Denver) or a S. You have got me really curious about whether that coin is a quarter or half eagle and whether - if it is a half eagle - it has a S mint mark. Be sure and let me know or I will die of curiosity.
Well, I wish it were stamped SF, but not so.
It is a $2 1/2 coin with no mint stamping (plain)...sigh 🥲 ... and I’m from SF.
Thx for your info