View Single Post
Old 08-02-23, 03:04 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I absolutely have lived in places where the traffic laws are enforced to the letter. I see no need to list each & every duty station I have ever attended.
Did it work?

Originally Posted by base2
The problem is that nobody (except you, apparently) wants the draconian police state that enforcing every single traffic law to the letter would create. The better solution is to take into account normal human behaviour and incorporate that into road design.
Actually about half the population believes that we live in a nation of laws and those laws should be enforced. I guess to you that is a "draconian police state" The other half seems to keep making new laws that they never intend to enforce that affect mostly others. They also seem to not want any traffic laws enforced any more. They have seriously undermined our policing agencies so that they no longer have either the manpower or desire to do traffic enforcement.
You misunderstand me. I want freedom. I want others to understand that when they violate traffic laws they put lives at risk, mine and others. I believe that enforcement is more cost effective than a complete rebuild of our infrastructure.
On the other hand I live in a place where stop signs are placed at the request of local residents and speed limits on rural roads are lowered due to urban sprawl and encroachment of rural spaces. Perhaps I can agree with some of your thinking in that stop signs are not always the answer and suburban developments should be so well isolated by physical barriers as to not impact speed limits of local roads. Municipalities when adding new roads across existing MUP should be required to do so in a way that does not interfere with folks using existing infrastructure.