View Single Post
Old 04-08-19, 09:03 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I aired the tires down to 20 psi front and 35 psi rear the other day and rode a bunch of gravel, with the front fork locked, and it was really comfortable. Way more comfortable than the 29x2" Schwalbe Hurricanes at similar pressures. I don't want to go on and on about these Vittoria Mezcal tires, but they seem to be the real deal, at least for me. They scoot along really well on pavement and are really supple (on pavement, I ride them closer to 30 psi front and 45 psi rear). I think I am going to swap these Vittorias over to the new wheels and run the Continental X-Kings I'm getting as part of the package on my MTB wheels. They're a little more aggressive than I'd probably pick, but if I wear them down on the MTB or don't like them, I can buy another set of the Vittorias.

But anyway, I could go with a Surly Karate Monkey fork or similar. Or a suspension corrected carbon fork. I never quite found true comfort in rigid with the 29" wheels, but I'm really liking this 27.5" package.

The Vittoria Mezcal's got a great review here too.

https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...ezcal-tnt-2017