View Single Post
Old 10-21-09, 09:29 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
I live on sort of a secondary thoroughfare. It used to be a four-lane, but a few years ago it was "traffic-calmed" to a two-lane with on-street parking and little bumpouts to keep people from driving in the parking lane.

I live on busier streets because they're plowed in the winter. Plus it's a bus route. I can see the stop from my window. And did I mention I'm 100 yards from an LBS?

Once upon a time I owned a suburban three-bedroom. That cured me of property ownership for life. I've rented ever since.

Currently I'm in a 46-unit building constructed in 1925. Has plenty of character. Things you don't get these days--like real steam heat (not a hot-water conversion), plaster crown mouldings, real multi-pane windows, glass doorknobs--and updated kitchen, bath and mechanicals.

I'm across the street from a light industrial plant, their parking lot is next door, and there's a church parking lot across the back fence. Thus, on this side of the building there are no neighbors. I seek out buildings situated like this because there are no dogs. I hate barking dogs. That's a big part of why I left the suburbs originally.

I moved from my last place because the landlord changed the no dogs rule. Had to let me out of the lease because it represented a change in terms. I was gone in 60 days, and it was only that long because I liked this place well enough to wait for it. I'm glad I did.