View Single Post
Old 06-10-13, 11:35 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2496 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 523 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
If you're not riding cyclocross, you won't need the extra clearance. Personally, I think the frame looks about a size too small -- I'd go a size up, maybe shorten the stem a little, and put a little bend in the elbows.
I agree with those who think the frame is a 52cm. That said I'm riding a 52cm frame and I am 5'10" like the o.p. It was commuterized and switched over to flat bars (riser bars... 3" rise) by a previous owner. It has an adjustable 110mm stem angled very definitely skyward. Extra long seatpost. It works. Handlebars are about 1.5" above seat height. I like anywhere from 35" to 36" between top of seat and extended pedal. Effective top tube is about 22.5". This is the only way a 5'10" guy can ride a 52cm frame. My only drop-bar bike is a very recent purchase and I am still sorting it out but here are the salients: frame size: 60cm (old school level top tube). Bars about level with seat. Top tube is about 22.5". This is the most constant dimension of all my many bikes. Stem is 100mm. The fit of this bike passes all the "tests" that I see online i.e. in the hoods the front hub is exactly blocked by the bars. Fingertips just touch the bars with elbow on the saddle nose. Elbows can be bent the 15* recommended but this is new territory. My body doesn't like it yet... ... I think that is the key... I don't know how old the o.p. is but I am 54. I am tempted to put a 90mm or even an 80mm stem on this beast of a road racer but... I wouldn't have a road racer anymore. So I plan to work with things as they are for awhile. REI should never have sold a 52cm drop-bar bike to someone 5'10" so the o.p. may be right to view them with misgivings. Didn't anyone mention the Competitive Cyclist fit calculator yet? It's not just for racers. That's where I'd start.

H