Thread: RD suggestion??
View Single Post
Old 10-28-19, 08:51 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,296 Times in 866 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
not sure what you did differently, but i successfully ran an 8spd shimano cassette with veloce 10spd shifters using a 7spd long cage alivio for several years without any modification.
Yep, I think that the 7s SIS mech's all have the the travel to span 8s, even if indexing (where used) going to the largest cog tends to be a good bit "off".
Getting the derailer's travel centered with the freewheel/cassette seems to be the bigger issue in most cases, so that the limits are more or less reached at both ends of the cassette so with all 8-9-10 cogs getting into the action if barely.
Even an older Stag's-Head or Exage Pre-SIS unit should span 8 cogs if well-centered. I generally find that removing 1-3mm of driveside axle spacing does the trick while still leaving 3-4mm clearance between the 1st cog and the dropout. This improves the chainline as well so is effort well spent imo.