View Single Post
Old 09-08-20, 07:13 AM
drewtk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by ryan_rides
So what you all are saying is that I should save my money and just buy the Specialized Allez Sprint Disc? By no means will I choose to remain to ride a bike with crappy parts and not upgrade them. That’s ridiculous. I’m not disagreeing with the fact that a power meter can help me train. Why would I put a power meter on a bike with Shimano Claris? Would you take your Toyota Yaris to a dyno?
I have an Allez Sprint that built up from a frame set with Ultegra components. Weight came out to 18.2 pounds in a size 54, before adding pedals, bottle cages, etc. Love that bike. It replaced a 2013 Fuji carbon road bike that weighed more than 20 lbs. Gotta love progress.

The Allez Sprint is very stiff but it really puts the power down when you get on it. The reviews say it's crazy stiff and rough, but I put wide rims / lower tire pressure and it's perfectly fine for long rides. I did 100 miles on it a few weekends ago, comfortably. I don't have the front end slammed low though.

You can add speed for not much cost, either by making yourself (i.e., body position) or the bike faster. But it sounds to me like you just don't like your bike. Save up and buy the bike you really want. You'll be happier in the end. In the meantime, you can still look into some easy ways to make yourself and your bike fast.