Old 09-17-20, 08:52 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1463 Post(s)
Liked 1,487 Times in 871 Posts
Like anything, it varies depending on terrain.
The majority of marked MTB singletrack trails around me are pretty smooth and fast, mostly flat and a ton of fun to ride on a CX bike. There are sections where I have to slow down and pick careful lines, where on an MTB I'd just bomb through, but almost everything is rideable on a rigid bike. I've never understood why people in my area ride these trails on long travel bikes. Even when I ride MTB, a 100mm XC bike is plenty.

The same cannot be said for areas out West. There are many MTB trails in Colorado, for instance, that would not be fun on a CX/Gravel bike and even an XC style MTB would be challenging.

It's also funny to think back to the late 70's, early 80's when I was a kid. I routinely rode hiking trails around my house on a 10 speed road bike. My buddies and I would build dirt jumps and practice tail whips off of them, bomb through mud and gravel, set up log jumps, etc. I remember taking my 10-speed road bike into the LBS with a taco'ed rear wheel when I was around 12-13 years old and asking the shop owner if they had any wheels that wouldn't bend when I took them off of dirt jumps. He showed me a new Specialized Rockhopper with a triple front crank and cantilever brakes, and I knew I had to have one. I came home with a repaired rear wheel and a MTB magazine, and started pestering my parents immediately for a new bike.
Likes For msu2001la: