Old 07-09-23, 12:19 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 905 Post(s)
Liked 2,083 Times in 1,092 Posts
I always teach the technique of sliding off the saddle to stop, sliding on the saddle after rolling. It's safe, stable, controlled.

Risk averse students may never do anything else. Nothing wrong with that.

I expect adventurous students will eventually test boundaries when I'm not around. Step off the side while rolling, throwing the leg over the saddle or perhaps over the top tube. Hop off to the side all at once. Stand upright with one foot on the seat and the other on the stem, arms spread like an airplane. Jump off the back (to see the bike roll away). Lean against a tree. Put a foot down on a log. Put their hand on a buddy's shoulder. Track stand. Wheelie then hop in place. And yes, even put down a toe and balance that way precariously. Many of these experiments will result in falls and scrapes. Maybe the occasional broken arm. These students will learn much about balance, control, recovering, risk and rewards. They will understand why I taught the method I taught, and they will also understand what they can (and cannot) do. I would never teach this; it is to be experienced.

When it's all said and done, the student who has become master may choose to roll to a stop seated and put down a toe. They will do it safely. Safer, even, than the student who never took a risk could ever hope to stop a bicycle. They have transcended the rules, and do what they know they can do.