Old 04-18-19, 07:31 AM
dynodonn 
Banned

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1268 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 67 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
So now to complete the thread hijack by turning his argument into a straw man?

His logic is fine--cycling for utility=benefits>risks.
Recreational cycling= risks>benefits

How he or anyone else values those is subjective, so argument about them will not be terribly productive or interesting.

The problem with changing it to Russian Roulette is there aren't any benefits to balance against the risks, so that person is clearly crazy.

Also, just as a probabilistic statement, all other things being equal, the more time you are bicycling the higher the likelihood that something bad (or good) will happen to you while biking.

What does any of this have to do with the thread?

Pretty much mirrors my thoughts as well........I would not have ridden during morning and evening rush hours with Dick and Jane Wolfpack just for recreational purposes. My commutes always remind me of one television program that I watched, whereas a business exec decided to buy and fly a WW2 fighter plane, and with his idea of going out to just fly around aimlessly, without a care and to leave the business world behind, being quickly squashed.

He quickly learned how fast and intense it was to fly the particular fighter plane he bought, and how quickly things can go wrong if a certain level of concentration and mechanical care was not maintained.