Old 01-02-20, 05:14 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Yep, I'm really tight too. My PT doc noted that when I went in for physical therapy for a couple of months last spring. I had typical cyclist posture. After a couple of months it was much better. Lots of resistance bands and light to moderate weights.

Stretching feels good but doesn't really seem to offer any lasting relief. Structured and supervised physical therapy for a couple of months helped a bit, mostly with the core, neck, shoulder and arms.

But what really helped was massage and rolling. I got a foam roller but found it awkward to use and didn't help my legs at all. Then I remembered a heavy marble rolling pin in my kitchen, mostly a decorative item although I have used it for baking. I grabbed it and tried it on my legs. Best thing ever for those tight quads and calves. The cool marble feels great and the weight means I don't need to put much pressure on the tops of the thighs. It does work the arms a bit to roll out the calves and undersides of the thighs, but I needed more core and arm work anyway.

And I got a long handled percussion massager with two heads the size of golf balls for my injured neck, back and shoulders. Helps a lot.

Try the rolling pin trick on the legs if you're not getting much relief from foam rollers, stretching, massage, etc. Best DIY trick I've found for home PT.
Never thought of a rolling pin. I don't have a marble one, but will see if my wooden one helps at all. Right now I can barely sit down I'm in so much pain. I'm fine once I sit, but getting down hurts more than my broken collarbone from a couple months back.

ETA: Wow! The rolling pin actually felt good! I'll keep that handy.

Last edited by NomarsGirl; 01-02-20 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Additional Info
Likes For NomarsGirl: