View Single Post
Old 10-17-19, 07:37 PM
kunsunoke 
spondylitis.org

Bikes: '84 Colnago Super; '90 Bridgestone MB-1; '81 Trek 930; '01 Cinelli Supercorsa; '62 Ideor Asso; '87 Tommasini Super Prestige; '13 Lynskey R2300; '84 Serotta Nova Special; '94 Litespeed Catalyst; etc.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
I won't be the one to change anyone's opinion on tubulars, I don't understand the need for them in any way. I guess it was once a weight savings, right? But now with all lightweight tubes and clinchers, or even tubeless setups, I think there isn't an advantage. I get the nostalgia for them, but I know more people that end up "stranded" and calling for a ride because of them over the years than any other setup. Anyway, I don't mean to bash it really, but I steer clear of them as much as possible.
It's not nostalgia.

Modern tubular tires continue to ride better than clinchers of the same casing diameter and same thread count.

Tubulars can be inflated to much higher pressures than clinchers.

They can also be ridden with lower pressures than would work for clinchers (such as during a cyclocross race).

The rims are perfect box sections, with no weak spots, and as such are stronger than clinchers. Wheels are easier to build as a result.

Clinchers will pinch-flat if run below required pressures. Tubular tires seldom pinch flat.

Tubular tires can be ridden flat.

Tubular tires can be replaced easily on the roadside as long as one brings a spare tire for that purpose, along with the usual tire irons and CO2 inflation device or frame pump.

Tubulars can often be sealed up through use of Vittoria Pit-stop or similar latex aerosol compounds.

Tubulars can be filled with liquid latex in order to prevent flats. Less sealant is required, and re-application does not have to occur every six months.

Tubulars can be glued or taped to rims. The advent of double-sided tape means that tubular tires can be mounted and ridden the same day.

Tubulars do not roll off the rim if installed properly.

Tubulars allow for safe handling in the event of a flat at high speeds. Clinchers default to bare rims, which is a problem if you flat on a long downhill at speed.

Well-designed tubular tires can be repaired during the off-season.
Likes For kunsunoke: