View Single Post
Old 11-16-19, 07:08 AM
Athens80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
This is my setup on my Lynx VR trainer. I don't really understand grade reduction beyond the idea that it makes steeper grades a bit easier.
Your Lynx/VeloReality grade reduction setting from the screen shot shows that your trainer will match the route's resistance for gradients up to 5%. For route gradients beyond that, up to 20%, the trainer resistance will rise more gradually, so that at a 20% route gradient, your trainer applies the resistance for a 10% gradient. So you can specify that up to some limit, you want your trainer experience to exactly match the real-world route you're riding. But you can also specify that steeper gradients will be moderated, so that you don't run out of gears on the most extreme slopes on the route. Your virtual "speed" isn't affected by grade reduction. 250 watts won't get you to the top faster with grade reduction than without.

Zwift doesn't provide that break point for grade reduction. If you have "trainer difficult" in Zwift set to anything less than 100%, then it applies that reduction on every gradient.