Old 05-18-19, 09:46 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by zacster
There is always the NYC Century. It's a different kind of ride, less festival and more grinding.
For me, riding a century had to be about one thing only: getting myself that distance. Riding in the city is mostly about all of the other people driving or walking, so that doesn't work personally.

It seems targeted at a very different kind of rider, not just ones frustrated by the crowds and slowdowns, but those willing to go head to head with city conditions for that long.

At that kind of distance I personally want a peaceful rural MUP with some scenery, shade, few obstructions, the situational safety of rider going the other way every five minutes or so... and bottle filling stations would be great.

But I get how for those comfortable with both city conditions, and more used to that kind of distance, combining them could be a great achievement.

(FWIW, while what I ride is definitely a factor, I know at least one person who did the NY Century on a similar 36er unicycle - the choice of route is ultimately about the rider)