View Single Post
Old 08-12-20, 05:21 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium
Well, that is extraordinary.

One aspect of athletic performance that usually changes with aging - is the ability to tolerate electrolyte changes - in other words most people usually cramp up more easily. I experience this as "night cramping" if I workout and don't completely re hydrate. When I was young - I had a lot more lee way and could run around on "empty" - and still not cramp.

I guess you are special.
Having been active all my life and always a heavy sweating type, my guess is that my system simply adjusted to being dehydrated on a regular basis.

I do on rare occasions suffer from cramps, but they don't seem to be associated with dehydration. I have only encountered them a couple times on a bike, and I was not badly dehydrated in any of those cases. However I do suffer from idiopathic vastus medialis (inner thigh) cramps that will just show up in bed while sleeping, while sitting in my easy chair, driving my car, etc. Many of these have been during the cool season (or even during periods of no workouts). But ALMOST never on a bike. Go figure.

dave

ps. I once lost around 13-14 pounds in a marathon. My legs basically quit working but I never cramped. But that experience got my attention in a serious way.

Last edited by DaveLeeNC; 08-12-20 at 05:32 PM.