View Single Post
Old 02-09-18, 08:40 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Not a bad idea, although I was thinking more of a simple drill bit the diameter of the sides of the nipples.
The shoulders of nipples are also 90 degrees, which is why I use that countersink instead of a drill bit (most drills are 118 degrees, which angle would support the nipple less. But it would probably be ok anyway.)

The nipple head should be somewhat ball and socket shaped, allowing a little variation in direction. Are there ball and socket shaped nipple washers?
Probably used to be ball-seat nipples, way back when. I don't recall having seen any. But I'm sure someone tried it.

For a big hub like the OP's, one could cut out a disc the size of the spoke circle on the hub. Then use a straight edge, and go around to all the holes and mark the direction of each spoke to one or the other tangent on the hub cuton, and R/L on the sidewall. Then later clean with acetone, or let brakes rub it out.

Heck, it might also help with building the wheel later to know where each spoke is supposed to go.
Rim manufacturers can't make a specific seat angle because rims can built with different lacing patterns, each of which requires a different angle. If you map out your spokes the way you describe, you can improve the line. It's never going to be perfect unless you have some kind of angle jig. But really it doesn't need to be perfect, just better.