View Single Post
Old 02-17-20, 01:28 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevtassie
Bugger, you made me disappear down the rabbit hole that is German hub dynamo websites... Looks like a lot of manufacturers have got on the band wagon of impedance matching to maximise output at all speeds. Still like my Forumslader though because it does everything because it has an internal battery. I have the big battery version with the USB Loader cable, so I can use it as a standard USB power pack and charge from AC if needed. I put it in a PVC tube the size of an old school bike pump and it clips into pump clips on my downtube. I disconnect it and take it into the tent at night. The only slight downside is it looks like a bomb to Airport security, what with it being slightly home made, having a push button and flashing lights. Usually gives them a laugh when I explain it though.
If I was with TSA, I do not think anyone could talk me into believing that a PVC pipe full of electronics is that harmless.

I have had good luck with my Sinewave Revolution, but when I saw the output claimed by the Cycle2Charge, I thought about ordering one. That is until I saw a 30 Euro shipping charge to USA, then I rapidly lost interest. If my Sinewave died, I would probably give the Cycle2charge a try as the price with shipping is competitive with another Sinewave, but I do not need another charger that much. And the Sinewave waterproofing is exceptional, I have no clue how well waterproofed the Cycle2charge is.
Cycle2Charge

Originally Posted by polyphrast
Be assured, in that rabbit hole (i've disappeared down there also more than once) you'll find that the forumlader is still one of the best energy harvesting systems available, there is only one that is at speeds below 20 km/h a tiny bit better (tout terrain the plug 5 plus)
The Cycle2charge website claims about 4.8 watts at 20km/hour, that is pretty close to the Forumslader output.
http://www.cycle2charge.de/images/Bi...ich-eng_V3.JPG