DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4344 Post(s)
Liked 3,006 Times in 1,630 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
So, interesting point. But what is the use of the video. If there is a criminal charge brought against the driver, then, if admitted into evidence, the video may support the state's charges. It may also influence during the sentencing phase. Okay.

But aside from "justice" for the survivors, do you expect them to file a civil suit to obtain wrongful death damages? I don't. I wouldn't want my family to go through that. They'll be fine without attaching to other folks' resources. That was part of my point.

The net usefulness of any video may be...subject to speculation and debate.
If you have the good fortune of being killed by someone with insurance - why wouldn't your family make the claim?
These things almost always get settled before lawsuits.
Lawsuits almost always get settled before court.
If a victim had definitive video coverage it would be presented and the insurance folks would come to an agreement.
If the video were no so definitive, it would be part of a larger process including accident re-constructionists. There is a whole industry and professional society out there that specializes in this https://actar.org/ they know how to evaluate action cam videos and Strava records. Lots of them specialize in bicycle collisions too.