View Single Post
Old 09-17-20, 09:43 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by stardognine
Are you saying this one is the same as Shimano cranks, in that regard? Or that it uses a standard Camp. crank puller?

I really didn’t know they switched stuff so much, just always heard you have to be careful with Italian-threaded things. Campagnolo is “normally” not in my price-range, lol, so I never really paid attention. 🙄🤔😁

It’s cool to know the BB shell is English-threaded. I can use a UN-55 in it, down the road, if needed, but this one’s VERY nicely broken in, should still have a few miles left on her. 🙂
First, Campagnolo sells on the world market and has for decades. So they have made Italian thread, English thread, French, and Swiss. Japanese bikes use English for teh most part. You can get hung up with the BB to frame interface. If your BB shell is 68 mm wide you need English. If it's 70 mm you need Italian. Check the thread diameters and directions, and especially part markings to see what you have and need. Pedals came in English and French - not interchangeable. Italian threading mostly came on high-end Italian-made frames, such as Cinelli, Mondonico, et cetera.

The Campy and Shimano BBs may have the same spindle length, but the spindle ends may not be the same length. Both companies are shy about publishing those dimensional details, though handbooks such as Sutherland's have collected data and printed it. I don't know which problems your installation has, if any, nor if your discrepancies from "ideal manufacturer's fit" are going to cause any real problems. I know that when I can use parts that line up to each other as Sutherland's says they should, I have a better-running bike!