View Single Post
Old 02-18-21, 04:36 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,630 Times in 934 Posts
It has been mentioned already, but you can just buy a bike when you get there. Craigslist or the local equivalent using the local language translation for "bicycle" or "bike" or whatever. Maybe a bit of pre-arrangement & excellent communication with the prospective seller explaining your intentions beforehand. The big advantage is theft resistance. Low value & low cost & native product...& you can regard such a thing as nearly disposable.

That's what Mrs. Base2 & myself did prior to a trip to The Netherlands. The seller, it turned out was a New Yorker there on contract & was off-loading his posessions before returning to the United States. I think we paid $100USD each for both bikes for 10 days & gave them to the hotel bar-tender the night we left. I figure we got at least our hundred bucks back in free drinks.

Trains & trams are not the same thing. If your intent is to travel by bus, tram, etc...You might be better off with a folding bike, as bikes are not allowed on trams & buses.Trains, OTOH may be different & bikes may be allowed depending.

We've also travelled with S&S coupled bikes as well. The biggest disadvantage is hotel policy. We had a hotel in Canada that it took some effort & a (very real) threat to cancel our week stay before they agreed to allow them in a ground floor maintenance room. We were not pleased & added a theft/responsibility note to our account.

Our hotel in Arkansas didn't care a wit what went on where. Though I did have plans to inconspicuously hand carry wheels to our room in on trip & the frame just as incognito in another. In Arkansas, you don't argue with authority.

In retrospect, an S&S coupled folding bike with 20 inch wheels in an airline case might be the best solution to all possible scenarios. The disadvantage, obviously, being the cost of such a thing & any personal attachment you might have with it. It'd be a very attention-grabbing thing on any café stop bike rack.

Last edited by base2; 02-18-21 at 04:42 PM.