View Single Post
Old 05-04-20, 04:41 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by alexnagui
Cool video, the Koga bell and the no-name bell sound almost identical to me. The Spurcycle is surprisingly so high pitched, but the next one after that sounds even higher to me.
I have a Crane Suzu bell which sounds very similar to yours but holds sustain a bit longer in my opinion, don't know though, hard to tell from a video, of courses.
Yes they do, with the main difference being that the Koga bell dies out really quickly and is quieter in person. To my ear (but that's the problem with sound in videos automatic gain in most videos) the:
  1. Spurcycle is loudest and sustains on the longest.
  2. Then the ding-dong bell is the most noticable.
  3. The classic Gazelle and the Crane are a close third.
  4. Both the no-name and Pelago dome bells come closely after that in sound.
  5. And the Gazelle twist and the Koga bell are last compared to the others. They are not as loud and die out sooner.
That being said, bell use in most of Europe is mostly limited to warning people to get out of the way RIGHT NOW instead of the "there is a bicycle coming" that is more common in the US. People will jump away if you approach them from the rear and strike your bell. I have had people reacting really scared over the Spurcycle.

Originally Posted by non-fixie
JaccoW, no contest:

One vote for the Pelago bell. Available in a threadless stem and a handlebar mounted version.