View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 06:33 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 970 Times in 793 Posts
Originally Posted by joel1952
I actually agree that cantilevers are a viable option, fine, and adequate. However, I apologize for omitting the fact that I know from experience that V-brakes will stop faster and are therefore better in any sort of emergency. I've few, but enough close calls with my old center-pulls, side-pulls and cantilevers in 100k miles of cycling in a lifetime, that I appreciate the extra margin of safety provided by V-brake’s (and dual-pivot brake’s) extra stopping power.

And you’re all correct, I do look like a big dumbass. A 2 mile 6% grade is no big deal. What I could/should have explained is:

The noob OP (no offense meant) asked if he should upgrade his cantilevers to V-brakes to go touring. He doesn’t state the distance, the terrain or his experience, yet denys that he is a noob. I’m worried that he would go down a 2 mile 6% decent at 40 mph, find a car turning left only 100 feet in front of him and being inexperienced, start braking, find out that cantilevers that work great with moderate pressure at 15 mph are not half as effect at that 40

Also agreed there’s nothing better; descending at 45mph in the Ozarks, but when that fisherman’s trailer comes around the corner and that boat starts drifting into your lane…
thanks Joel for getting back. You certainly do have lots of riding experience, and I agree, V-brakes are quite a bit stronger than cantis, well the cantis anyway that Ive ridden on over the last 30 years and continue to ride on. My one V-brake bike is an old mtn bike, top end one from the late 90s and its v-brakes (probably xt) are good and strong and certainly nice to use when Ive used that bike touring in mountainy terrain in latin america.

and yes, until anyone has gone downhill loaded up where not too many inattentive seconds can turn into a runaway train scenario for braking, its a valid concern to bring up for someone who hasnt toured yet. As you say with your good example of cantis at 15mph vs 40, throw in a much heavier bike and not having the experience riding a fully loaded bike downhill, and its easy to get into a dicey situation--I'm sure most of us have stories where nothing happened , but it darn well could have, when we were young and stupid, or old and stupid, or whatever ;-)
I know I have, been stupid that is. Close calls like yours that could have been ugly.

I come back to my winter driving example, you can't go down the road or highway on ice and snow at speeds like you do on a dry pavement day in summer.
Its up to us to evaluate our stopping distances and times for driving a car in winter, just as it is for our bicycles.
Learn proper braking techniques, HARD front application and minimize dragging the brakes.

safe riding all.
Likes For djb: