Old 07-04-20, 11:52 AM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Hit by a car in 2018, breaking and dislocating my shoulder. Driver was looking at her phone, turned left into my path. Recovery took longer than expected. Neck X-rays for injuries revealed I also had thyroid cancer, which took priority that year. No surgery for the shoulder, which healed on its own. The AC joint healed a bit lumpy but that's typical of that injury.

Busted ribs from a self-inflicted crash in 2017. And again this March -- slid on an icy puddle on a 50F degree day. Apparently there was sleet the night before and some stayed frozen in a few spots. Painful for a few weeks but no medical treatment. No additional injury to the shoulder -- I've been pretty diligent about physical therapy, which helps.

Road rash from crashing in a turn for the sprint finish at a crit in '78.

Lots of other incidents -- bumped by cars at intersections, or minor self-inflicted crashes, but no memorable injuries.

My main lingering issue is permanent C1-C2 damage from a car wreck 20 years ago. A full size SUV ran a light at highway speed and t-boned my compact car. Broke my back and neck. The neck will always bother me. I needed a cane to walk any distance until 2014. Resumed riding in 2015 on a comfort hybrid. Slowly worked my way back to a drop bar road bike by 2017. Still takes daily stretching and home PT to stay flexible and strong enough but it beats the alternative.
I would say that wreck was a blessing and God send for sure. Otherwise, you know the rest more than likely.