Sandy Barringer

Bikes: 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ncbikers
Sandy,

If possible you should check out the mid-west recumbent rally which I believe is coming up in August in WI. There will be a lot of them for you to try.

Something I did was to look at my physical problems verses seat positions. I have neck (nerve) problems and the closer my chin is to my chest the more discomfort I get in my neck either at the time or later on. We have upright bents, where I can hold my head up and like them a lot. They are Sun EZ-sports.

Also think about where your weight will be on your back. I didn't want a C-shaped seat with the weight on my tailbone. Your weight position will also change as your feet go up in the air higher (away from the ground).

Warning: When you first get on one it will feel "odd" and it takes a few rides to get used to them. It is not like changing DF's. It is a much bigger difference.

Go for it!
We also have a recumbent rally in Michigan. I'll have to do a google to get the date, but I'll definitely be going to that. You can try out recumbants there too.

I just checked, and here's the info for anyone in my area:
Date correction:
Ann Arbor Recumbent Jamboree
24 Aug 2013
At: Midwest Bike & Tandem
1691 Plymouth Road
Ann Arbor, MI
Group ride from shop: 9 AM
Recumbent Jamboree: 11 AM-2 PM
11 AM: Buying your first recumbent talk.

I took a look at the Sun EZ and the upright seat is also the one that would work best for me as I also have a neck and back problem with nerve involvement. The laid back position puts too much strain on my neck. I like to do distance riding and a sore neck will put the brakes on distance achievement.

Michigan Recumbent Rallies (wrong date, sorry)

« on: April 13, 2008, 03:31:41 pm »

Beyond a doubt, many recumbent bikes were made for long-distance touring. In you live around lower Michigan, check out recumbents at the Michigan Recumbent Rally East (May 10th), Central (June 28th) or West (September 6th). All three events run from 10am until 3pm, have recumbent dealers, displays, test-rides and used recumbents for sale. For more information, visit www.wolverbents.org/events.
Sept 6th is my last chance this year.

Last edited by Sandy Barringer; 07-29-13 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Date correction Additional info.