Old 05-16-19, 10:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Winding Country Road or 50 mph Highway with Shoulder?
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
I'd choose the one that has other cyclists

windy country road w cars passing in both directions but not too many, but then some clowns with water guns assault me (toward the end of the clip)
https://youtu.be/X9c2SM1zhUE

least favorite section of my old commute (2009-10) on Route 20, Wayland, MA. (aka Boston Post Rd between Concord Rd & Landham Rd) I affectionately nicknamed "a kill zone". I was always so glad to get to the turnoff after the descent. I think this (2014) clip is from a quiet Sunday morning, not a weekday commute, which would have had much more traffic. …
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Funny, I just road that stretch of 20 through Wayland for the first time going from Marlborough to Watertown last Saturday, and I didn't think it was that bad, but like you say, it wasn't at rush hour on a weekday. I usually go a little out of my way to take 117 for the same leg of a century, but 20 was definitely faster for me.
For the amusement of my fellow Metro Bostonians:
Originally Posted by jppe
...Riding solo. Essentially going to follow Hwy 20 across the US to Boston. If anyone would like to ride any segments with me let me know.

What I've laid out calls for about 47 days of riding plus 8 days off the bike. There are some 60 mile days and some 100+ mile days
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
jppe is now in Massachusetts, and anticipates arriving in Boston on Sunday. We have made arrangements to meet in Wayland MA at this venue (see below) about 20 miles from the terminus, likely to become one of the National Shrines of his Route...

jppe has put Route 20 on the map
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
It was one of my most pleasant cycling days in 40 years of cycling, to ride with jppe, and to direct his wife in the van to various locations and ultimately the Atlantic Ocean. We met at about 9:30 AM at the Wayland Depot, about 20 miles from the Atlantic Coast and we hit it off immediately....

We mapped out a route to include a few historic sites that Jeri could meet us at by car. We stopped at the Walter Gropius home, a national historic architectural landmark; rode by Walden Pond; and lingered at the old North Bridge in Concord, site of the Battle of Concord on the first day of the Revolutionary War...

We next rode to Bedford, and took the 11 mile Minuteman Bikepath to Arlington. We could ride two abreast, and I had a chance to hear all the details of his ride...We took a side jaunt to the Lexington Green, site of the skirmish that preceded the Battle of Concord, and then then rode through Arlington into Cambridge and meandered around Harvard Square…

The picture of the END ROUTE 20 sign was taken about two blocks from our condo in Kenmore Square. …We then headed straight though downtown for Castle Island on Boston Harbor.
I had asked @jppe if he wanted to continue his journey all the way down Rte 20, but I recommended the itinerary described above.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 05-16-19 at 11:07 AM.
Likes For Jim from Boston: