garywelch

Bikes: Gary Fisher Zebrano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I'm a 55-year-old retired engineer.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I have a 2003 Gary Fisher Zebrano hybrid, which is comparable to the Trek 7200 and has the same frame. I'm tall so I bought the XXL (25") frame. I like a very upright riding position.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

None

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

I'm probably in as good shape as ever. I've always walked a lot but I have never had much interest in sports. A couple of years ago I was diagnosed with diabetes bad enough that my doctor put me on insulin from the beginning. Now, through a combination of diet and exercise, I no longer need to take any diabetes medication at all. I wasn't considered overweight but I ended up losing 35 lb. My doctor retired and my new doctor had trouble believing I ever had diabetes until she looked at the old lab test results. Because of my biking and walking the diet isn't very restrictive. I have to be careful about my carb intake but it's far from a low-carb diet, which could be dangerous for a diabetic.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

Until about four years ago I hadn't been on a bike in 25 years.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?

I do mostly moderate length rides of 20-35 mi., frequently twice in one day. I prefer riding on paths, I live a couple hundred feet from the one along the Erie Canal. To the west of me the path is stone dust in good condition, to the east it's paved but in poor condition in places. I usually average 13-14 mph along the canal, which is about as flat as you'll find, especially to the west. I do occasional road rides with friends at distances up to 60 mi. and speeds of around 12 mph.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I ride nearly every day the weather allows but not in the winter and usually not in the rain. I usually don't ride on windy days either. I've ridden over 5000 miles so far this year, that's probably a little excessive and I expect to do closer to 4000 miles next year.

7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?

I walk a lot, especially in the winter. I walked about 300 miles in February.