Old 03-04-21, 11:19 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by OnTheTarmac
God this is an insufferable take. You're conflating phallic symbols with midlife crisis stereotypes? That doesn't even make sense. The reason people buy convertibles and motorcycles are because they are fun to drive, and to the extent there is a performative or signalling aspect to it, that is definitely not limited to middle aged men. Look at any nightlife scene at the young people with their (heavily financed) Lambos and stereos blasting.

I think the real underlying psychology is a tinge of jealousy. The loud obnoxious truck or motorcycle captured your attention or made a statement that you weren't able to counter as a mere pedestrian or cyclist.

I can respect your opinion. But I can't agree with you because what I wrote does make sense. If what I wrote weren't verifiably true, choppers like the ones Orange Country Choppers assembled would have gained enough of a following that the company would still exist. They were a goofy fad. Their claim to fame was creating the most exaggerated appearances.

The kids, you have to expect that. Young people trying to find their way.

There are folks who can ride across states with straight pipes. I'm not one of them. Really not a fan of loud as my original post to this thread ought to have made clear. There's just something amazing about a mechanism running as near to silent as possible. And if not quiet, then near musical in its sound. The burble of a 60s era Jag straight six at idle. Even when it's on the boil, less loud, more melodic. I don't know what it is but that kind of sound is beautiful to me. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, but loud for loud's sake is just crass.