View Single Post
Old 12-02-10, 08:26 PM
motob

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Interesting thred. I have been called Clyde by many people on group rides and centry/double centries. I ususally hear the comment from small people behind me--lets get behind this guy, this is great. Cycling has been great for me, no joint or back pain and the only thing to stop you is endurance and your training.

I 6'4" 240-245 currently. Before I got into road cycling almost 4 years ago I was 270 -275, then was told by my PCP that I may need to take oral diabetic medication soon. That kicked it over the edge. Picked up a road bike and just topped off 11,000 miles before the snow started coming down. Now I bug my Doc to get on a bike and loose the weight.

Favorite ride is with my group who are all about my same size and strength (its great to have 2 clydes side by side in front hammering 22-24 mph ripping it up on a flat). Favorite event is the one day Seattle to Portland 200+ miles mostly flat with a few rollers. Best ride for a group of 10 big strong riders that like to crank it up--even if you can't sit down for a couple of hours later without cramping (last time finished with a group at 20.1 mph with a tail wind from Longview in to Portland). Steep long hills are frustrating, despite the training, will never keep up the the twigs.

Bike is a receint upgrade to a Cannondale super six 63cm (just changed mind from a CAAD10). Lots of research on both frames seems like a good fit for someone 6'4" 240. Just put the money down at the LBS, now just wait for Santa to show up. 3 months ago rebuilt my rear wheelset to a velosity deep v with 36 spoke ultegra hub on the old bike. 1000 miles and verry much sold on the deep v build. It is verry responsive, tight, smooth, and solid--no need to tune or retrueing. Of course, had a master wheel builder lace it. I am definatly swapping the rear wheel set on the super six, and off to ebay the new rear wheel set goes. Thats been my biggest challenge with the bike and my size--popping spokes in the last year. Bottom bracket does creaks like an old door hinge on the old bike, hence we will see how cannondale's bb30 holds up to a clyde's torque.

Great thred for big people who like to push endurance and strength in cycling. I am convinced cycling is the great equilizer. Age, size, sex dosen't seem to matter. How hard you train and how many miles on the bike seems to equilize everyone. I am still shocked when a 70 year old guy stays right with me on a centry, then passes me on the hill and I am 46 and thought I was in good shape. Then a 25 year old shows up on a $10,000 Colnago with ooos and aaas and you leave him in the dust on you $1300 Motobecane. Where did that guy on the sweet bike go?