View Single Post
Old 12-06-10, 08:28 AM
Bromo
Confuzzled

Bikes: Masi Gran Criterium, Surly Traveler's Check (frame - current project!), Fuji Crosstown 1.0

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 5' 11 1/2" and check in between 220-230lbs. I have a large frame, but also I carry fat as well. I am riding a Masi Gran Crit (2009) - and it is by far my favorite bike, hand;es like a dream, and is FAST.

My travel bike is just getting finished, a customer Surly Trav Check with S&S couplers I am planning on taking with me on my (frequent) travels. It isn't as fast, but it feels much more rugged and heavy. I have 2 sets of tires - a 38mm monster-Cross set for fire trails and light mountain biking, and a 35mm one for road.

I think the bikes built today are much sturdier than in the past (except the really truly high end ones - but even the group-sets at the top of the line are built for weight and not durability - the SRAM Red I understand will wear out much quicker than Force or Rival for instance).

I have found if I can cycle a few times a week, and watch what I eat (the latter being the most important part!) I can lose weight without feeling much like sacrifice. I dropped fomr 265lbs to 221lbs this past year (and gained again to 230 - which I will work on).

It is DEEP in snow here (Rochester, NY) so the riding season is really closed (except spinning) unless I'd go for one of those really fat tire bikes like the Fatback, Pugsley, Mukluk, etc). Except in my travels I'll end up in warmer climates ... so perhaps I will be stealing my season back!

FOrgot to add: Had so much fun biking that I signed up for a half century "Tour de Cure" with my fiancee (She'd be an Athena)