View Single Post
Old 08-23-18, 09:43 AM
wschruba

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
I wonder something. If people are using 50s aluminum bottles with corks, or for that matter modern stainless bottles, how do they drink? I guess they stop first? Can you get the cork off with one hand? I guess I don't need to anymore, but I strongly prefer to be able to drink while pedaling. There's a reason plastic squeezable water bottles took over immediately when they came out.

Frankly, the modern big mouth water bottles bug me more than the cages, for both aesthetics and function. For me, the water's going to be warm an hour into the ride no matter what, so I don't care about ice. If you want it cold sticking the bottle in the freezer works better. Also, with big mouth bottles you can never get the swig of water out without taking the top off.
Modern Kleen Kanteens with the 'bike' cap can be sucked on (have a reed valve in the top). They absolutely leak when closed/on their side, though. Be warned.

Otherwise, same way I take off my jacket/gloves, etc. I usually prefer to stop, though.