Old 09-20-20, 04:58 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1079 Post(s)
Liked 1,899 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
If Raleigh asked me to design a frame as a modern tribute to their 70’s flagship racing bicycle (I’m a British trained 753 certified builder - but they never would) I wouldn’t do it that much different than this new one – including sloping the top tube a little. I bet I am also the only BFC&V member who was actually watched them build 753 frames in Ilkeston.
Hey Doug, as you are a frame builder I'm particularly interested in your thoughts on the Raleigh. You've addressed the sloping top tube, the other points of grievance are the dropouts and fork tips. What options would Raleigh have had for a slightly more elegant dropout (and fork tip)? Obviously the Campy 1010 isn't readily available anymore, but there's plenty of steel frame builders that seem to manage - or have horizontal dropouts gone the way of the dinosaur?

Then there's the details around the dropouts/fork tips. Blobs of weld/braze is far from what I'd expect of a professional bike company (even if they haven't been doing steel frames for a while.) Finally the tabs on the fork tips - surely it's frame building 101 to file them flush with the fork blades?