View Single Post
Old 10-26-20, 12:34 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10442 Post(s)
Liked 11,915 Times in 6,102 Posts
Originally Posted by Clyde1820
Sounds like you're getting fitter and stronger, capable of greater output without as much challenge to the body. Sounds like a good thing.

After all, even though you're 63yrs of age, you're putting in more than 60% greater mileage, and you're working harder at it. It wouldn't be a surprise to see some of the changes you've been having. Lower resting HR, lower max HR at a given level of effort (even higher effort), faster times, greater power and strength, improved recovery ability, etc.

Lucky you!

Given your age, definitely bring up these things at your next appointment with your general doctor. We do generally slow down as we age, in terms of our cardiovascular systems. But I don't imagine it's much to worry about. Some of it's probably age-related slowing; though the training you've been doing probably explains the rest of the "positive" gains.

Time to re-do those mileage/heartrate charts and expectations. I bet everyone wishes for such a problem.
I don't recommend going about it the way I did - by becoming fat and lazy and having to overcome it!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles