Old 06-27-19, 01:57 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by krispenhartung
I really hope this has been discussed already and there is a solution in place out there somewhere...but my initial search yielded no results.

Has anyone developed a more modern coaster brake arm attachment method, perhaps building on the quickrelease concept? I'm thinking of a some device that would bolt to the brake arm, and then attach to the chainstay via a sturdy quickrelease lever of some sort. That way you could have the lever on multiple wheelsets and quickly interchange. Would also speeden up the flat change process.
Thoughts?

It would be easy for frame builders to add a little brazed-on boss under the chainstay, and for the hub manufacturers to design the brake reaction arm with a quick release of some sort... if there were any demand for this sort of stuff.

The truth is that coaster brakes are not popular enough among the type of cyclist who would care about these features. The cheesy clamp and screw that come with most coaster hubs are sufficient. They’re super cheap to build, and they work.

To answer your question more directly, I have not seen an elegant/efficient alternative. But I agree one would be nice, for the “enthusiast” coaster cyclists.