Old 10-25-20, 04:36 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Ummm, Nashua and metro Boston where I normally do most of my riding in non-COVID times are hardly "wilds."

No idea why you're aiming this diatribe at me, I was saying that the fast bright strobes are disorienting. What makes you think I'd suggest that grouping them together wouldn't make this effect worse?

Sort the thread out a bit, I haven't disagreed with you once and am very sympathetic with your position on this.
Addressed to your attention perhaps because you seem to still have an input device attached to your brain. Not much point is saying anything to those who merely repeat what they read in an advertisement, an advertisement that was peddling fear.

Minutes of each ride are now spent with one hand off the bars shielding my eyes from oncoming strobes. In traffic it can be minutes in a row. That is not the safest way to ride. Shielding eyes from strobe flash means much else that is happening on the road will not be seen.

No possibility any longer of riding at night. No possibility of riding with a group. Decades of habit riding early a.m. Saturday and Sunday are over because there are just too many cyclists with the high power lights. Better to ride later in day and face more car traffic.

One too common event that occurs around here is groups of bikes riding the wrong way on a one-way while all using strobes. Traffic comes to a halt right where they are. I will dismount and move to curb or parking lane if I can. Do not really think those riding the wrong way down a one-way are thinking of safety. As they go by these groups are always laughing, making remarks about cagers. If cars honk those cars will be pummeled. It gets difficult to have positive feelings towards those who use strobes.