Old 11-22-19, 01:57 AM
fullergarrett
"Broke College Student"

Bikes: 2016 Giant Sedona, 1987 Free Spirit Pinnacle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks, I think this tire looks amazing on the bike. The best part is the reflective stripe - it really matches the bike IMHO. I'm probably going to go ahead and make it a matching set because it looks so nice on this bike.

I found another really cool thing about this tire after doing another dumb experiment. (See my first... I know, I even admitted it was a dumb idea.)

I knew someone who swore by tubeless (including the Ghetto Tubeless method) so I wanted to try it. I've watched various videos on Ghetto Tubeless setups and have tried it at random times with no luck. Usually the air would immediately leak out. I decided to try it tonight and to my amazement, it actually worked. While the Schwalbe Marathon is a strictly "tube-type" tire (says so on sidewall), I was able to get it to hold air without any tubes. The rim is the stock, non-tubeless-ready rim.

I split a 20x1.75 BMX tube and mounted the Marathon on it. It inflated with no help, just a little pressure from my hands to hold the bead close to the rim. I used a ordinary floor pump to inflate it - no air compressors here. The fit of this tire is good enough that it didn't even really require that, as I wasn't putting that much pressure on it. With no sealant or anything, I inflated it to ~35 PSI a couple hours ago and it has held perfectly fine. I'm amazed.

The real test will be how well it holds air and how well it holds up. I unfortunately did this on the front rim, so I may unseat and move it to the rear rim before doing a test ride just in case something happens. I didn't expect it to work. If it ends up working well I may actually keep it tubeless and add some sealant.