Strawbunyan
StillNewbieButInGrey

Bikes: Austro Daimler SLE

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
What I like about a 5 mile ride to work is if I have bike trouble I can just walk it. I think you should also consider how much room you will have for storage and how safe the storage area will be. If you are going to store it out side when working ya might consider an old steel beater bike ta start.

If you have never done regular bicycle commuting take a step back and just do it a few times a week. That will give you time to set up a proper route and prove your gear and method of clean up when you get to work.

I commuted to work for several years. It took a while to get my gear and route stable. It was 15 miles to work but my route took me about 20 miles as I chose to go around heavy traffic. I was working at Southwest Research Institute in San Antonio Texas. I found an old bike rack covered in weeds and started parking my bike there. With in 4 months the bike rack was completely cleaned up and at least 8 of us were commuting daily.

Another thing is that if you are ridding on a regular basis people get to know you. Or rather know your bike as they too are going to work. I once got a flat, rolled my tubular tire off the rim, and flipped into the thick grass of someones yard. I guy I never knew pulled up behind me and gave me a ride to work. I am thankful to this day...
I can store the bike inside at work if i would like, no one is going to mess with it around here either way though.
i figured the same about the walk if something goes wrong, or even if there is a hill that is too mich for me, doesnt take much extra time to hoof it for a minute and i leave an hour early already as it is. It takes me 12 minutes to do the commute in a car my normal route, i drove a few of the routes google suggested for cycleing(30 minite bike ride according to them) and it took 20 or so minites to do the drive so i seem to have plenty of time no matter what happens and worse comes to worse my wife is just a phone call and 5 minites away.
Likes For Strawbunyan: