Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
A bit more detail here.
And here about the dismissal.

FWIW, even if a person on a bicycle does *NOT* flee and does *NOT* collide with an off-duty police officer on a bicycle, if you are stopped for a traffic violation while on a bicycle, simply refusing to give your name and address (even in the calmest and most respectful terms) *MAY* lead to your arrest in Massachusetts.

MGL Chapter 85 Section 11E - "An offender who refuses to state his true name and address may be arrested without a warrant for such refusal...."

I ride, walk, and drive through that intersection. It's dangerous, and it is somewhat remarkable that there have been no severe injuries there.

But few people on bikes "bomb" through the intersection. Otherwise, most people on bicycles treat the stop signs just like people in cars treat stop signs- they roll through them and treat them like yield signs. That said, some people on bicycles *do* exercise very poor judgement at that crossing, putting themselves at risk.

I've seen officers doing educational enforcement at the intersection - and handing out information when necessary. But I've never seen them writing tickets to people on bicycles there. I'd love to see them hand out information to people in cars who yield *AT* the crosswalk rather than at the sharks teeth, especially for people in cars about to make a right turn onto Summer Street.

However, no amount of bicycle crossing paint, sharks teeth, yield here signs, or rectangular rapid flashing beacons seems slow *some* people in cars in their hurry to get in the queue for the RED LIGHTS and either end of Mill Street. *LOTS* of people in cars bomb through that intersection.

-mr. bill
Good find. I am surprised at how easy the guy got off, but I'm sure it's a pretty good lesson for him. A police chase on the bike trail, how exciting!

I've seen the police at the Lake St. intersection many times, been stopped myself as well (I slowed down all the way at the stop and made sure cars were stopped at the crossing, short of putting my foot on the ground - which no one really does and is equivalent to how drivers roll through, as you said). Only once did I see a citation being issued.

I'd say the general problem in the area is entitlement, regardless of the mode of transportation, and our strong but slowly-eroding bias towards making the streets friendly only for cars.