View Single Post
Old 05-17-20, 09:39 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 724 Posts
Originally Posted by guadzilla
(As an aside - i do not wave when i ride. I'd like to think that i am a pretty easy-going person off the bike, but I am not particularly big on inane small-talk or its equivalent, and waving to strangers falls in that category for me - at most, i will acknowledge another rider if i pass them with thumbs up. But i dont really believe that just because another guy is on a bike, he and i are part of some brotherhood and so need to bond. Arrogance? No. More like indifference.)

No one is denying that cycling doesnt have its share of ******s. What I am challenging is the rather casual assumption that this percentage is higher than in other sports - or among humans in general. Road cycling has the same personality quirks that you get with any sports as you more towards the more competitive edge of the spectrum.
Higher then among other sports or the population in general, nope, I'll agree. Just seems that more of them congregate to certain aspects of the sport, that's the only part I was going along with. I am a person who tends to nod by nature but not always and I have no expectation of a reply, I wouldn't call it arrogance or indifference, sometimes there's nothing wrong with just wanting to focus on what you want to be doing.

Originally Posted by big john
Try motorcycling, boating, RVing, classic car collecting, divorce.
Are you listing divorce as a sport or hobby? Either way that would be an interesting outlook on it; and the commentators would have to be from MST3K