Old 07-04-11, 01:58 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Riding in traffic is a balancing act. I ride, inasmuch as I can, on a not to interfere basis. I don't want to hold up motorists. I stand much to lose and nothing to gain by pissing them off. I DO NOT take the lane just because I can. If I take it, it is because I have determined it is in the best interest of my safety. If I were going up a narrow winding mountain road at slow speed, I would make opportunities for motorists to safely pass me. We both benefit from that. There may be places on that road where I would take the lane, but I would not let auto traffic stack up behind me. The state of AK has a law that requires people to pull over if more than 5 vehicles are backed up behind them. That's a good law. Whether a law or not, it's considerate. Share the road works both ways.
Exactly, and I am sure that in states that have that law on the books there is language in it that states if it is safe for the slow vehicle to do so. And I am sure that the LEOs and the courts wouldn't expect a slow moving vehicle to pull over if it wasn't safe to do so, such as on to an extremely soft shoulder, or where they might end up going over the edge of a cliff.