Old 07-04-11, 04:11 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
Absolutely not. Do the math. Whichever action maximizes overall utility for society, while not particularly harming any individual, is the action to promote and expect. To behave otherwise, is to be selfish and put your solitary "rights" over those of multiple individuals.
Okay, than let's say that we have a dozen cyclists who are traveling on a particular road. It is a narrow road with little room for a car to safely pass. They are riding two abreast. There is one car behind them with two people in it.

If I read what you are saying correctly, than in that instance the cyclists needs would take priority over that of the two in the car, right?

That's all fine and dandy and accounted for in my position (check posts above). But I still think you are wrong that you alone get to determine when it is safe. I'm pretty sure every court will apply the standard of what a reasonable cyclist (as established by an "expert" giving testimony) would find safe and not let a single individual make that call.
And what if said "expert" has never ridden a bike on that particular road? If one is not familiar with the road in question can they really be called an "expert" on what a "reasonable" cyclist would do on said road? Or look at it like this. There is a forensic expert in Alaska who "knows" how body's decompose (in Alaska). Does that mean that they're an "expert" on how body's decompose in Florida?

In other words, we have to be reasonable. And we ought to give a damn about other people. I do and it doesn't lessen my cycling experience one bit. I can see no reason not to continue on as I have been.
Agreed, but it is unreasonable for a motorist who has different view of the road to determine if and/or when it is safe for a cyclist to move over and let them pass.

I was in a similar circumstance not too long ago coming home from a "town hall" meeting on what to do about the Pinellas Trail/bridge in Tampa. It was 2100hrs, it was dark, I was riding along Gandy Blvd. From about BK in Tampa to about a 1/4 mile or so from the bridge the left lane was closed.

There were several cars stacked up behind me, however there was NO safe place for me to pull over and to allow them to pass me. I was IIRC riding in the right side tire track. Not ONE driver blew their horn at me. They just patently followed until the left lane opened back up and they all calmly moved over into the left lane and went on their way.

I continued up onto the bridge and moved over into the breakdown lane and road across the bridge with no one harassing me.

But apparently according to some here I was being "rude and/or inconsiderate" because I didn't leave the road to allow the cars to pass me. Even though it would have been unsafe for me to do so.

Also according to those "self-appointed" experts when I position myself in the left most through lane at an intersection when I am going to my bank that I am again being "rude and/or inconsiderate." Even though it is the safer thing for me to do. As a block from that intersection I'll be making a left turn. If I positioned myself in the right most through lane than about a half a block or so from that intersection I'd have to cross 2 or 3 lanes of traffic.

Likewise, I guess I am being "rude and/or inconsiderate" when I am going to the pet store to get crickets to fed my spiders. I start moving over to the left turn lane about a hundred or so yards before the left turn lane starts. Instead of waiting until I am almost at the intersection and than having to "fight" the traffic to get over to the left hand turn lane. Or even going through the intersection and than waiting for the light to change green for the cross street and cross street on the opposite side of the intersection. Instead of making a left hand turn from the left turn lane just as any other road user would do.

Last edited by Digital_Cowboy; 07-04-11 at 04:20 PM.