Old 07-03-19, 07:34 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 178 Posts
A few related thoughts on recording trips, memoirs, blogs, etc - getting a little afield from tablets per se...

* Length of the trip also matters. I've kept a web page/blog for most of my trips longer than a week. At least half of the one-week trips I recorded I did after the trip. Downloaded photos and wrote up an chronological accounting but not during the trip itself. There are also a number of one-week trips that I intended to write down that never quite made it to paper... But particularly on a trip of a month or more - I see it a bit different. A one week trip can be a quick vacation, a six-month or year trip it becomes a different lifestyle change. In addition to recording long trip - writing/recording is something I enjoy doing and it also becomes an indirect way to be on the trip while also maintaining contact with people on a more fixed basis.

* On my last long trip, 18-months in total, I actually used time in the trip to write a book, my "Bike Trip Memoirs". Recounting things in a memoir form is also a different approach for me. On a blog, I'll mostly write down what happened and some interesting photos or things that caught my attention. I don't worry as much about how it is written or whether it is particularly repetitious. In writing the book, I worried more about a particular audience and how the account could be told. I went back to my previous journals to jog my memories - and was happy I had them written down. On the whole, I am glad I wrote things down at least as much for myself.

* One thing that has intrigued me is also reading and looking at some journals. I find it intriguing to see how different people on the same trip often pick up very different aspects in what they write and what they notice. In that sense they sometimes also serve different purposes. Some are thoughts and feelings, some are descriptions of services/events and even data of distances/speeds/rates. That is partially what makes some of this interesting to observe.