View Single Post
Old 01-11-18, 08:52 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by veloz
In the 1980's I loved friction Suntours. The last few years I've been riding MicroShift 3x9's and they're great with 105 F/R derailleurs. Friction (trim) front, indexed only rear. No adjustment at the shifter so you'll likely need in-line barrel adjusters. The Gevenalles look fine too and will likely be on my next frankenbike.
Until the late 1980's friction was the only shifting available and SunTour's "Power Ratchet" were the king of the hill for both downtube and barend shifters. And, yes, I know about Simplex "Retrofriction" shifters.

As to the Microshift indexing barend shifters, there is no need for in-line cable adjusters. For the front (friction) shifter just pulling the cable snug by hand and tightening the clamp bolt will give a full range of movement. For the rear, most rear derailleurs will have their own barrel adjuster to set the shifting.

Also, most bikes will either have downtube shifter bosses that can be fitted with adjustable cable stops or have adjustable cable stops welded/brazed/glued to the downtube or headtube.